12.02.2013

December Advent Calendar DIY

I'm terrible at making advent calendars in time. But this year, I managed to whip something up just in time! I knew I wanted something simple. I wanted to make a calendar that involved doing something each day. And then I found the beautiful "advent calendar of service" from The Neighborhood blog. I downloaded the template, bought some supplies from Michael's, and whipped this thing up in an afternoon.

The calendar involves simple acts of service for each day. Some of my favorites are: "Hold the door open for somebody", "Buy the Salvation Army bell ringer a hot chocolate", "Bake cookies and drop them off at a neighbors house". I love the idea of doing something sweet and thoughtful everyday leading up to Christmas. 





I just strung these tiny envelopes up on some string and hung them with mini clothespins. The 18th (my husband's birthday) and the 25th each got a tiny green Christmas tree as an extra bit of fun. Other than that, I kept them really simple with hand-drawn numbers. I definitely recommend this little calendar. It's a fun way to stay in the Christmas spirit all month!

15 comments:

  1. this sounds like such a great idea, I love it!
    -
    Ester @ Drawing Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so adorable, I love the mini-clothespins :)

    Ivy xx
    Style Life Lovely

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such a great idea. Heading over to the site to download my own!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this idea! My family always did the chocolate Advent calendars, but this is such a wonderful way to express Christmas spirit, too!
    xo
    Kristina
    www.eccentricowl.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is SUCH a great idea--what a wonderful way to infuse Advent with positive action :) I feel inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a lovely idea, it's great to remember to be kind and generous amongst the rush and busyness of December
    http://ahandfulofhope.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is such an adorable idea, I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey gal, just stumbled on your blog! Love the photos!! www.thelunavine.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this advent so much! I think we'll do the same one next year :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so adorable! I wish it weren't the third, but who knows? Maybe I'll run out tomorrow morning, stock up on supplies, and throw this pretty little together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is fantastic idea! <3
    i have my own chocolate advent calendar <3
    http://coeursdefoxes.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely idea. Homemade advent calendars are the best but this is an even lovelier take on it x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ohh I really like this idea. I never got around to an advent calndar this year :( Good job anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an adorable decoration idea!

    Xo, Hannah

    sweetsweetnoir.net

    ReplyDelete